Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fulton, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fulton, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Fulton, MO. Bike wrecks are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Fulton, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike a few times a year, the aftermath of a bike wrecks can include horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Fulton, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated legal system and get the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that those injured through another's negligence should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
Fulton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for just one percent of trips in the United States, they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Fulton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are several important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out reviews from past clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You want a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fulton, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our group of experienced Fulton, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Fulton, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
What Our Fulton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Fulton, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand the legal aspects of your injury. We'll discuss your case with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to develop a winning legal strategy, and fight back against any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Fulton, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Fulton, MO. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Fulton, MO?
Bicycle accidents can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, trash, uneven pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other motorists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be the result of mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Fulton, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced Fulton, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Accident
A bike crash is a trying and unexpected event. But, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bike wreck in Fulton, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a physician within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw your accident, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
FAQs About Fulton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Fulton, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash resulted in more significant injuries that need ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we charge a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the outstanding legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Fulton, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be reduced based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fulton, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Fulton, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.