Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lemay, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lemay, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Lemay, MO. Bicycle crashes can be horrifying and have severe consequences. Whether you're an experienced Lemay, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bike accidents can include serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about how to proceed. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Lemay, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
Lemay, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips across the country, they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Lemay, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need someone who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. With personal injury, attorneys usually accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lemay, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of talented Lemay, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike accident claims. We have the knowledge and resources to conduct a full investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to devalue claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Lemay, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Lemay, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Lemay, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll discuss your case with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Lemay, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our Lemay, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Lemay, MO?
Bicycle crashes happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be caused by mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Lemay, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity responsible for planning, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring an experienced Lemay, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bike wreck is a difficult and surprising experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your odds of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle wreck in Lemay, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bicycle crash, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. In addition, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll receive for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to determine liability in crashes, and will mention how the other parties caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw your crash, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
FAQs About Lemay, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Lemay, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the wreck resulted in more severe injuries that need ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the outstanding legal representation you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Lemay, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be reduced based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lemay, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Lemay, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.