Bike Wreck Lawyer in St Clair, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St Clair, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in St Clair, MO. Bike accidents are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced St Clair, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike accidents can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about how to proceed. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right St Clair, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should be able to have the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
St Clair, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips nationwide, they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right St Clair, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a number of key things to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You want an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. With personal injury, attorneys usually accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St Clair, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of talented St Clair, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike crash cases. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with an effective legal strategy.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to avoid paying claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your St Clair, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
What Our St Clair, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in St Clair, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll go over your accident with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our St Clair, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our St Clair, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in St Clair, MO?
Bicycle wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be the result of mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in St Clair, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced St Clair, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Crash
A bike accident is a stressful and unexpected event. However, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash in St Clair, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bicycle wreck, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to be seen by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. Additionally, the costlier your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign blame in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to the wreck, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About St Clair, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in St Clair, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash resulted in more serious injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we charge a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the outstanding legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, we can close the case within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your St Clair, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be reduced based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St Clair, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in St Clair, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.