Bike Wreck Lawyer in Affton, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Affton, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Affton, MO. Bicycle crashes are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Affton, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike crashes can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Affton, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should be able to afford the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Affton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up just one percent of trips in the U.S., they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Affton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a few key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for testimonials from past clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Affton, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of skilled Affton, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike accident cases. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters mislead injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced lawyer by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Affton, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
What Our Affton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Affton, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll discuss your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and fight back against any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Affton, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to our Affton, MO clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Affton, MO?
Bike wrecks can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car colliding with a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, litter and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other drivers to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially in the dark, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Affton, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a knowledgeable Affton, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their reckless behavior.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bike wreck is a difficult and unanticipated experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bike wreck in Affton, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bike accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to determine fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to your wreck, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure you get the compensation you deserve. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Affton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Affton, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the accident resulted in more serious injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we charge a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the excellent legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Affton, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Affton, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Affton, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.