Bike Wreck Lawyer in O'Fallon, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | O'Fallon, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in O'Fallon, IL. Bicycle wrecks are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced O'Fallon, IL cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bicycle crashes can include horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable O'Fallon, IL bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
O'Fallon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips in the United States, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good O'Fallon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in O'Fallon, IL
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our team of skilled O'Fallon, IL bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike accident claims. We have the knowledge and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your O'Fallon, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate a fair settlement.
How Our O'Fallon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in O'Fallon, IL offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand the basics of your case. We'll review your case with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our O'Fallon, IL lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in O'Fallon, IL. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in O'Fallon, IL?
Bicycle crashes happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, debris, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be due to mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially in the dark, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in O'Fallon, IL, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity tasked with planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a skilled O'Fallon, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their negligent behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Accident
A bike crash is a difficult and unanticipated experience. However, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle wreck in O'Fallon, IL, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Furthermore, the costlier your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to assign liability in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw the wreck, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About O'Fallon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in O'Fallon, IL, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the wreck resulted in more severe injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we receive a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal representation you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your O'Fallon, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in O'Fallon, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in O'Fallon, IL. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.