Bike Wreck Lawyer in Barnhart, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Barnhart, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Barnhart, MO. Bike wrecks are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Barnhart, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of concerns about how to move forward. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Barnhart, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that injury victims should be able to have the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Barnhart, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips nationwide, they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Barnhart, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a few key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Barnhart, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other damages. Our team of knowledgeable Barnhart, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Barnhart, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Barnhart, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Barnhart, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Barnhart, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Barnhart, MO. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Barnhart, MO?
Bike accidents happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to the vast majority of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car hitting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be caused by mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly in the dark, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Barnhart, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced Barnhart, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bike accident is a trying and surprising experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been involved in a bike accident in Barnhart, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to determine fault in accidents, and will mention how the other parties caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the crash, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
FAQs About Barnhart, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Barnhart, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the wreck caused more serious injuries that require a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we collect a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Barnhart, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be reduced based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Barnhart, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Barnhart, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.