Bike Wreck Lawyer in Bourbon, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Bourbon, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Bourbon, MO. Bicycle wrecks are terrifying and life-shattering. Whether you're a consistent Bourbon, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike crashes can include serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Bourbon, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated injury claims process and get the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Bourbon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips in the United States, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Bourbon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Bourbon, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our group of talented Bourbon, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to conduct a full investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Bourbon, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Bourbon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Bourbon, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll go over your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to develop a winning legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on healing. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Bourbon, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our Bourbon, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Bourbon, MO?
Bike accidents happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter and environmental debris, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be the result of mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Bourbon, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Bourbon, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their negligent behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike wreck is a trying and surprising experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle wreck in Bourbon, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to get checked out by a doctor within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll receive for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to assign fault in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to your wreck, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bourbon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Bourbon, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the accident resulted in more serious injuries that require ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we charge a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Bourbon, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Bourbon, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Bourbon, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.