Bike Wreck Lawyer in Eureka, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Eureka, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Eureka, MO. Bike wrecks are scary and have severe consequences. Whether you're a consistent Eureka, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the repercussions of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Eureka, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Eureka, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips account just one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Eureka, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are several key things to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for testimonials from past clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You want an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Eureka, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our team of skilled Eureka, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters mislead injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Eureka, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
How Our Eureka, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Eureka, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll discuss your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Eureka, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Eureka, MO clients. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Eureka, MO?
Bicycle crashes happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, trash, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other motorists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Eureka, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced Eureka, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their careless actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bicycle wreck is a trying and unanticipated event. But, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle crash in Eureka, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike wreck, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to be seen by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the higher your medical expenses, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to determine fault in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to your wreck, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About Eureka, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Eureka, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the crash caused more serious injuries that need a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we receive a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Sometimes, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Eureka, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Eureka, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Eureka, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.