Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wentzville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wentzville, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Wentzville, MO. Bike crashes are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Wentzville, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike crashes can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Wentzville, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured on both sides of the river. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Wentzville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up just one percent of trips across the country, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Wentzville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a number of important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for testimonials from past clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wentzville, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of skilled Wentzville, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike wreck claims. We have the expertise and resources to conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Wentzville, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Wentzville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Wentzville, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll review your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on healing. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Wentzville, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Wentzville, MO. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Wentzville, MO?
Bicycle crashes happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be the result of mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially in the dark, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Wentzville, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability case
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a skilled Wentzville, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle crash is a difficult and surprising occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been involved in a bike crash in Wentzville, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bike crash, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. Additionally, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign fault in crashes, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to your crash, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure you get the compensation you deserve. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Wentzville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Wentzville, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the wreck resulted in more serious injuries that require a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we receive a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal representation you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. In some cases, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Wentzville, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be decreased relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wentzville, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Wentzville, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.