Bike Wreck Lawyer in O'Fallon, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | O'Fallon, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in O'Fallon, MO. Bicycle wrecks are scary and devastating. Whether you're a consistent O'Fallon, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike accidents can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about how to proceed. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy O'Fallon, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
O'Fallon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up only one percent of trips nationwide, they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best O'Fallon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for reviews from past clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want someone who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in O'Fallon, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of experienced O'Fallon, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced attorney by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your O'Fallon, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
How Our O'Fallon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in O'Fallon, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our O'Fallon, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to our O'Fallon, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in O'Fallon, MO?
Bike accidents can be the result of a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to almost all auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, litter, broken pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be caused by mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in O'Fallon, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a talented O'Fallon, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bicycle crash is a trying and surprising event. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash in O'Fallon, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to be seen by a medical professional within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to assign blame in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to your accident, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About O'Fallon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in O'Fallon, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the crash caused more significant injuries that need a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we charge a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, we can close the case within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your O'Fallon, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in O'Fallon, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in O'Fallon, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.