Bike Wreck Lawyer in Pevely, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Pevely, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Pevely, MO. Bike crashes can be scary and life-altering. Whether you're a consistent Pevely, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the repercussions of a bike accidents can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need an experienced and reputable Pevely, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated injury claims process and receive the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Pevely, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips in the U.S., they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Pevely, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Pevely, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our team of knowledgeable Pevely, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike accident claims. We have the knowledge and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and try to devalue claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced attorney on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Pevely, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
How Our Pevely, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Pevely, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Pevely, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Pevely, MO clients. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Pevely, MO?
Bike crashes can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car impacting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be caused by mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Pevely, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced Pevely, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Crash
A bike accident is a difficult and unexpected event. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been injured in a bike wreck in Pevely, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to get checked out by a physician within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. Furthermore, the higher your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to determine fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw the crash, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Pevely, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Pevely, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the accident resulted in more serious injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we charge a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, we can close the case within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent driver doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you need. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Pevely, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be lowered relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Pevely, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Pevely, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have a proven track record of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.