Bike Wreck Lawyer in Troy, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Troy, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Troy, IL. Bike crashes are scary and have severe consequences. Whether you're a consistent Troy, IL cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can include serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and reputable Troy, IL bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex legal system and get the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should be able to have the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Troy, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Even though bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips across the country, they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Troy, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a number of important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for testimonials from previous clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who communicates well with their clients. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Troy, IL
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other damages. Our team of skilled Troy, IL bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike wreck claims. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build an effective legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Troy, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
What Our Troy, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Troy, IL can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll review your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Troy, IL lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Troy, IL. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Troy, IL?
Bike crashes can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be caused by mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, particularly at night, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Troy, IL, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced Troy, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their careless behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike accident is a trying and unanticipated experience. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your odds of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle accident in Troy, IL, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. Additionally, the more expensive your medical bills, the more compensation you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to assign fault in accidents, and will mention how the other parties caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw your crash, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Troy, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Troy, IL, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the accident resulted in more severe injuries that require ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we collect a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the outstanding legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, we can close the case within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are entitled to. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Troy, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Troy, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Troy, IL. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.