Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lake St. Louis, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO. Bicycle accidents are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Lake St. Louis, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike crashes can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of questions about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Lake St. Louis, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that injury victims should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Lake St. Louis, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips in the United States, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Lake St. Louis, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are several important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews from past clients to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of knowledgeable Lake St. Louis, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike crash claims. We have the knowledge and resources to conduct a full investigation into your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Lake St. Louis, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
What Our Lake St. Louis, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Lake St. Louis, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll review your case with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Lake St. Louis, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Lake St. Louis, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Lake St. Louis, MO?
Bicycle wrecks happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter and environmental debris, cracked pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be caused by mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Lake St. Louis, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a knowledgeable Lake St. Louis, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Accident
A bike crash is a stressful and surprising occurrence. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been involved in a bike accident in Lake St. Louis, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the higher your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to assign fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the crash, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
FAQs About Lake St. Louis, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash caused more severe injuries that need a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we collect a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Lake St. Louis, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Lake St. Louis, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.