Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Robert, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Robert, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in St. Robert, MO. Bike crashes are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned St. Robert, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the aftermath of a bike accidents can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy St. Robert, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
St. Robert, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips across the country, they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best St. Robert, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are several important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. With personal injury, lawyers usually work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Robert, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other damages. Our group of knowledgeable St. Robert, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike wreck claims. We have the knowledge and resources to conduct a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your St. Robert, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
How Our St. Robert, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in St. Robert, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll go over your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our St. Robert, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our St. Robert, MO clients. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in St. Robert, MO?
Bicycle crashes can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in almost all auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car impacting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be the result of mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly in the dark, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in St. Robert, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented St. Robert, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bicycle wreck is a difficult and unexpected occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle wreck in St. Robert, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike crash, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the costlier your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to determine fault in crashes, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to your crash, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About St. Robert, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in St. Robert, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash resulted in more serious injuries that need ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we charge a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your St. Robert, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Robert, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in St. Robert, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.