Bike Wreck Lawyer in Sappington, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Sappington, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Sappington, MO. Bike wrecks are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Sappington, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the aftermath of a bike crashes can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about how to proceed. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Sappington, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that injury victims should be able to afford the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
Sappington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips in the U.S., they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Sappington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for testimonials from previous clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. With personal injury, attorneys often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Sappington, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other damages. Our group of experienced Sappington, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the experience and resources to conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Sappington, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Sappington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Sappington, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Sappington, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Sappington, MO. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Sappington, MO?
Bicycle wrecks can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, trash, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be caused by mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially in the dark, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Sappington, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a knowledgeable Sappington, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike accident is a stressful and unexpected experience. But, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can increase your odds of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in Sappington, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike crash, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the costlier your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bike accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to determine liability in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw the wreck, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sappington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Sappington, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the wreck resulted in more severe injuries that need a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we receive a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the excellent legal representation you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Sometimes, we can close the case within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Sappington, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be decreased based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Sappington, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Sappington, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.