Bike Wreck Lawyer in High Ridge, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | High Ridge, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in High Ridge, MO. Bicycle wrecks are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced High Ridge, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle accidents can include serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right High Ridge, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should be able to afford the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
High Ridge, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up only one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best High Ridge, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in High Ridge, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of experienced High Ridge, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash cases. We have the experience and resources to perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your High Ridge, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our High Ridge, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in High Ridge, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll discuss your accident with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our High Ridge, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal representation to our High Ridge, MO clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in High Ridge, MO?
Bike wrecks can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car impacting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other drivers to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be due to mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in High Ridge, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a talented High Ridge, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their careless actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bicycle crash is a trying and unanticipated occurrence. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike crash in High Ridge, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a doctor within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Furthermore, the higher your medical expenses, the more compensation you'll receive for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About High Ridge, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in High Ridge, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the crash resulted in more serious injuries that need a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the outstanding legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your High Ridge, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be lowered based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in High Ridge, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in High Ridge, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.