Bike Wreck Lawyer in Warrenton, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Warrenton, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Warrenton, MO. Bicycle wrecks are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Warrenton, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle crashes can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Warrenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Warrenton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips account just one percent of trips in the United States, they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Warrenton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a number of key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Warrenton, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of skilled Warrenton, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash cases. We have the experience and resources to perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced attorney by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Warrenton, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Warrenton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Warrenton, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll review your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Warrenton, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Warrenton, MO. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Warrenton, MO?
Bicycle crashes occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, trash and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other drivers to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Warrenton, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Warrenton, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike crash is a stressful and unanticipated experience. But, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in Warrenton, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike wreck, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical bills, the more compensation you'll receive for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign blame in accidents, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to your wreck, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
FAQs About Warrenton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Warrenton, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash caused more significant injuries that need a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we receive a portion of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal representation you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, a settlement can be reached within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Warrenton, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Warrenton, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Warrenton, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.