Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fayette, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fayette, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Fayette, MO. Bicycle wrecks are scary and life-altering. Whether you're a consistent Fayette, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bike accidents can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Fayette, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should be able to have the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Fayette, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips nationwide, they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Fayette, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are several key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out testimonials from past clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney charges for their services. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fayette, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of skilled Fayette, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash cases. We have the knowledge and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Fayette, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Fayette, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Fayette, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll discuss your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Fayette, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our Fayette, MO clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Fayette, MO?
Bicycle crashes can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car hitting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, litter and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be the result of mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Fayette, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a knowledgeable Fayette, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Accident
A bicycle accident is a stressful and unanticipated occurrence. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bike crash in Fayette, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a physician within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign fault in accidents, and will mention how the other parties caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Fayette, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Fayette, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the accident caused more serious injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we charge a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Fayette, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be lowered based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fayette, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Fayette, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.