Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wildwood, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wildwood, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Wildwood, MO. Bike crashes are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Wildwood, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the aftermath of a bike accidents can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of concerns about how to proceed. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Wildwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that those injured through another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Wildwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up only one percent of trips in the U.S., they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Wildwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are several key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wildwood, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of experienced Wildwood, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike accident cases. We have the experience and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Wildwood, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
What Our Wildwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Wildwood, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your injury. We'll review your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Wildwood, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Wildwood, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Wildwood, MO?
Bike accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, trash, broken pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be caused by mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Wildwood, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Wildwood, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their careless behavior.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bicycle accident is a difficult and unanticipated event. However, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike crash in Wildwood, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bike accident, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign liability in crashes, and will mention how the other parties caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to the wreck, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
FAQs About Wildwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Wildwood, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the wreck caused more significant injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we collect a portion of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, we can close the case within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Wildwood, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wildwood, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Wildwood, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.