Bike Wreck Lawyer in Concord, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Concord, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Concord, MO. Bike crashes can be horrifying and life-shattering. Whether you're an experienced Concord, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bicycle wrecks can include horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of concerns about how to proceed. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Concord, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated injury claims process and secure the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that everyday people should be able to afford the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
Concord, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding makes up only one percent of trips in the U.S., they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Concord, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a number of key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for reviews from previous clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You need someone who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Concord, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of experienced Concord, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike accident cases. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Concord, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
How Our Concord, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Concord, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Concord, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Concord, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Concord, MO?
Bicycle crashes occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, debris, broken pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Concord, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a skilled Concord, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their reckless actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bike crash is a trying and unanticipated event. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash in Concord, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a physician within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Furthermore, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to determine fault in crashes, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the crash, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the claims process and ensure you get the compensation you deserve. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
FAQs About Concord, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Concord, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash resulted in more serious injuries that require a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we charge a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Sometimes, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Concord, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be reduced based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Concord, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Concord, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.