Bike Wreck Lawyer in Crestwood, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Crestwood, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Crestwood, MO. Bike crashes are horrifying and life-shattering. Whether you're an experienced Crestwood, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle accidents can include horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Crestwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that everyday people should be able to afford the same excellent legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Crestwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up just one percent of trips across the country, they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Crestwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for reviews from previous clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Crestwood, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of skilled Crestwood, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike wreck claims. We have the knowledge and resources to perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Crestwood, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Crestwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Crestwood, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and speaking to people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Crestwood, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal representation to our Crestwood, MO clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Crestwood, MO?
Bicycle crashes occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, trash, cracked pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Crestwood, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a knowledgeable Crestwood, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their careless actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bicycle crash is a difficult and unexpected experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash in Crestwood, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to get checked out by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to determine blame in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to the crash, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About Crestwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Crestwood, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash caused more severe injuries that need a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we charge a portion of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, we can close the case within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Crestwood, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Crestwood, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Crestwood, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.