Bike Wreck Lawyer in Republic, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Republic, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Republic, MO. Bike wrecks can be terrifying and devastating. Whether you're an experienced Republic, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Republic, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Republic, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips account just one percent of trips in the U.S., they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Republic, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are several key things to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Republic, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of experienced Republic, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike crash cases. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build an effective legal strategy.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Republic, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Republic, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Republic, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Republic, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Republic, MO. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Republic, MO?
Bike wrecks happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car hitting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter and environmental debris, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be the result of mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Republic, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Republic, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle wreck is a difficult and surprising event. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle wreck in Republic, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to get checked out by a physician in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to determine fault in accidents, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw your crash, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Republic, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Republic, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash resulted in more serious injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we charge a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Republic, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Republic, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Republic, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.