Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Republic, MO
Republic, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Republic, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Republic, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Republic, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Republic, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in traffic accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which caused 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for over two percent of traffic accident deaths. The deviation speaks to the terrible damage people can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Republic, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Republic, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Republic, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Republic, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Republic, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Republic, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving drunk, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Pursuant to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as brakes, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Republic, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, your Republic, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Republic, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Republic, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? A seasoned and skilled Republic, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Republic, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Republic, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Republic, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Republic, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Republic, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their profession to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are owed. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Republic, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.