Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Republic, MO
Republic, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Republic, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Republic, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We offer expert legal representation clients in Republic, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an experienced and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Republic, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Republic, MO to ensure the optimal result. A personal injury lawyer in Republic, MO can provide assistance in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to offer as minimal money as achievable. We'll ensure they understand their legal responsibility to pay you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including acquiring evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or miss critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a disadvantage.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, review medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can corroborate your story. The more complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to file a lawsuit and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Republic, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from initial case review through a jury verdict.
Republic, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in traffic wrecks in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which caused 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both states, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for over two percent of motor vehicle deaths. The discrepancy speaks to the terrible damage drivers can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Republic, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Republic, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Republic, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Republic, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is At Fault for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Republic, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that led to your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving under the influence, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Following the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a portion of your financial recovery.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Republic, MO roadways. If a hazard such as cracked pavement played a part in your injuries, your Republic, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Republic, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Republic, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist spasm when you try to play the guitar? An accomplished and talented Republic, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Republic, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Republic, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Republic, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, make an appointment with your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to receive compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-embellish your actions. Be truthful, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always worth it to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Republic, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Republic, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, infuriating and creates a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Republic, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their practice to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Republic, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.