Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wardsville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wardsville, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Wardsville, MO. Bicycle accidents are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Wardsville, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need an experienced and reputable Wardsville, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims on both sides of the river. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Wardsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for just one percent of trips in the U.S., they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Wardsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You need an attorney who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wardsville, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of talented Wardsville, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Wardsville, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate just compensation.
What Our Wardsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Wardsville, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll discuss your case with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Wardsville, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Wardsville, MO. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Wardsville, MO?
Bicycle accidents happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, trash, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly in the dark, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Wardsville, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented Wardsville, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bicycle crash is a stressful and unexpected event. But, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle wreck in Wardsville, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to be seen by a doctor within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. Furthermore, the costlier your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bike crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to determine fault in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw your accident, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
FAQs About Wardsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Wardsville, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the wreck caused more severe injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we receive a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Wardsville, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wardsville, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Wardsville, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.