Bike Wreck Lawyer in New Florence, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | New Florence, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in New Florence, MO. Bike crashes are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced New Florence, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike accidents can include serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable New Florence, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated legal system and secure the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that those injured through another's negligence should be able to have the same excellent legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
New Florence, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up just one percent of trips across the country, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good New Florence, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out testimonials from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in New Florence, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other damages. Our team of skilled New Florence, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike accident claims. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters mislead injury victims and try to avoid paying claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced lawyer by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your New Florence, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
What Our New Florence, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in New Florence, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll discuss your case with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our New Florence, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in New Florence, MO. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in New Florence, MO?
Bicycle accidents happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, trash and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in New Florence, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a skilled New Florence, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their reckless behavior.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Accident
A bike accident is a stressful and unexpected event. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in New Florence, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to be seen by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Furthermore, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign blame in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About New Florence, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in New Florence, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the crash caused more serious injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we receive a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your New Florence, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in New Florence, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in New Florence, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.