Bike Wreck Lawyer in Sedalia, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Sedalia, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Sedalia, MO. Bicycle crashes can be terrifying and have severe consequences. Whether you're an experienced Sedalia, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bike wrecks can include horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Sedalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex legal system and receive the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Sedalia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for just one percent of trips in the U.S., they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Sedalia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Sedalia, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of experienced Sedalia, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike crash claims. We have the knowledge and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters mislead injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced lawyer by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Sedalia, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
How Our Sedalia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Sedalia, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Sedalia, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Sedalia, MO. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Sedalia, MO?
Bicycle wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be caused by mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, particularly at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Sedalia, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented Sedalia, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bike accident is a stressful and unexpected event. However, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike crash in Sedalia, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike crash, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a doctor within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to determine blame in accidents, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sedalia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Sedalia, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the crash caused more serious injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we collect a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal representation you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Sedalia, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Sedalia, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Sedalia, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.