Bike Wreck Lawyer in Cottleville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Cottleville, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Cottleville, MO. Bike accidents are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Cottleville, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle crashes can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Cottleville, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated legal system and receive the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Cottleville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Even though bike riding accounts for just one percent of trips in the United States, they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Cottleville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from past clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Cottleville, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our team of experienced Cottleville, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike crash cases. We have the expertise and resources to carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Cottleville, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Cottleville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Cottleville, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll go over your accident with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Cottleville, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Cottleville, MO. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Cottleville, MO?
Bike wrecks happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in the vast majority of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be due to mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Cottleville, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented Cottleville, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bicycle wreck is a stressful and unanticipated event. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike wreck in Cottleville, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to assign blame in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the crash, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
FAQs About Cottleville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Cottleville, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the crash resulted in more severe injuries that need a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we collect a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the outstanding legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Cottleville, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Cottleville, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Cottleville, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have a proven track record of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.