Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hermann, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hermann, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Hermann, MO. Bike accidents are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Hermann, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike wrecks can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Hermann, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated injury claims process and get the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should be able to afford the same excellent legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Hermann, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Even though bike riding makes up just one percent of trips nationwide, they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Hermann, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are several important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hermann, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other damages. Our group of talented Hermann, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike crash claims. We have the experience and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and try to devalue claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Hermann, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Hermann, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Hermann, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your injury. We'll go over your case with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Hermann, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Hermann, MO. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Hermann, MO?
Bicycle wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, trash, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other motorists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be due to mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Hermann, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability case
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced Hermann, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their reckless behavior.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bike wreck is a difficult and unexpected event. But, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in Hermann, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bicycle wreck, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. Furthermore, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to determine liability in crashes, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw the crash, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Hermann, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Hermann, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the wreck resulted in more severe injuries that need ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, we can close the case within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Hermann, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be lowered relative to your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hermann, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Hermann, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.