Bike Wreck Lawyer in New Haven, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | New Haven, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in New Haven, MO. Bike accidents are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent New Haven, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike a few times a year, the aftermath of a bike wrecks can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of questions about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right New Haven, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should be able to afford the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
New Haven, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding makes up just one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best New Haven, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a number of important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for testimonials from past clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You need a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys usually accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in New Haven, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of knowledgeable New Haven, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike crash claims. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your New Haven, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
What Our New Haven, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in New Haven, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand the basics of your case. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our New Haven, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in New Haven, MO. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in New Haven, MO?
Bicycle wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other motorists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, particularly in the dark, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in New Haven, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced New Haven, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Accident
A bicycle crash is a stressful and surprising event. But, by staying calm and taking the right action, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike wreck in New Haven, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bike wreck, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to determine fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw the crash, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About New Haven, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in New Haven, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the wreck resulted in more severe injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a hourly fee, we receive a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the outstanding legal representation you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your New Haven, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in New Haven, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in New Haven, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.