Bike Wreck Lawyer in Festus, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Festus, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Festus, MO. Bike wrecks are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Festus, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the repercussions of a bicycle crashes can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Festus, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that those injured through another's negligence should have access to the same excellent legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Festus, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding makes up only one percent of trips in the U.S., they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Festus, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need an attorney who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Festus, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of knowledgeable Festus, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike accident cases. We have the expertise and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Festus, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
What Our Festus, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Festus, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll discuss your accident with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on healing. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Festus, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Festus, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Festus, MO?
Bicycle wrecks can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car colliding with a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, broken pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be due to mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Festus, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented Festus, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Crash
A bicycle accident is a trying and surprising event. However, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle crash in Festus, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a doctor within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to assign liability in crashes, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw the crash, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
FAQs About Festus, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Festus, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the crash caused more significant injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we receive a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. In some cases, we can close the case within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Festus, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Festus, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Festus, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.