Bike Wreck Lawyer in Glendale, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Glendale, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Glendale, MO. Bike wrecks are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Glendale, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Glendale, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated legal system and get the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should be able to afford the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Glendale, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for just one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Glendale, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are several key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You need an attorney who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Glendale, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of talented Glendale, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike crash claims. We have the knowledge and resources to conduct a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Glendale, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Glendale, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Glendale, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your accident with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Glendale, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Glendale, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Glendale, MO?
Bicycle accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Glendale, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a skilled Glendale, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bike accident is a stressful and unexpected event. But, by staying calm and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in Glendale, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign fault in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw the accident, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Glendale, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Glendale, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the crash caused more serious injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Glendale, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Glendale, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Glendale, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.