Bike Wreck Lawyer in Ellisville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ellisville, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Ellisville, MO. Bike crashes can be scary and devastating. Whether you're a consistent Ellisville, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the aftermath of a bike wrecks can include serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Ellisville, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex legal system and get the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Ellisville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips in the U.S., they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Ellisville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are several important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from past clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Ellisville, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of knowledgeable Ellisville, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike wreck claims. We have the experience and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Ellisville, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
How Our Ellisville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Ellisville, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand the legal aspects of your injury. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Ellisville, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal representation to our Ellisville, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Ellisville, MO?
Bicycle wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other motorists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Ellisville, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability case
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced Ellisville, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their reckless behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bike crash is a trying and surprising event. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash in Ellisville, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bicycle crash, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a doctor within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the costlier your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to determine liability in crashes, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw your accident, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ellisville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Ellisville, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the accident resulted in more severe injuries that require a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we charge a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the excellent legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Sometimes, we can close the case within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Ellisville, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be decreased based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Ellisville, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Ellisville, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.