Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fairview Heights, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL. Bicycle crashes are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Fairview Heights, IL cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Fairview Heights, IL bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that the average person should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Fairview Heights, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips in the U.S., they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Fairview Heights, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You want someone who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other damages. Our group of knowledgeable Fairview Heights, IL bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike wreck cases. We have the expertise and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident to build an effective legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Fairview Heights, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Fairview Heights, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Fairview Heights, IL can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand the basics of your case. We'll go over your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and speaking to people who witnessed the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Fairview Heights, IL firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal representation to our Fairview Heights, IL clients. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Fairview Heights, IL?
Bicycle accidents occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to the vast majority of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other motorists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be due to mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Fairview Heights, IL, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Fairview Heights, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their reckless behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bike wreck is a stressful and unexpected experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bike accident in Fairview Heights, IL, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike crash, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a medical professional within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign liability in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw your crash, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the compensation you deserve. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Fairview Heights, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the wreck caused more serious injuries that need ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a hourly fee, we receive a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Sometimes, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Fairview Heights, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Fairview Heights, IL. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.