Bike Wreck Lawyer in Belleville, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Belleville, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Belleville, IL. Bike accidents are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Belleville, IL cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Belleville, IL bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Belleville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for just one percent of trips nationwide, they make up 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Belleville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few key things to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from past clients to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Belleville, IL
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our team of knowledgeable Belleville, IL bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike accident cases. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Belleville, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Belleville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Belleville, IL can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll review your accident with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and speaking to people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Belleville, IL lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal representation to our Belleville, IL clients. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Belleville, IL?
Bicycle accidents occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter and environmental debris, broken pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be the result of mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Belleville, IL, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced Belleville, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Accident
A bicycle wreck is a difficult and surprising occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bike crash in Belleville, IL, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to be seen by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the costlier your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to assign fault in accidents, and will mention how the other parties are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw your wreck, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you understand the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About Belleville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Belleville, IL, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash resulted in more severe injuries that require ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a hourly fee, we receive a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Sometimes, we can close the case within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are entitled to. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Belleville, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be reduced based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Belleville, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Belleville, IL. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.