Bike Wreck Lawyer in California, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | California, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in California, MO. Bicycle wrecks are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran California, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bicycle crashes can include serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need an experienced and reputable California, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims on both sides of the river. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
California, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding makes up only one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best California, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in California, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of talented California, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike wreck cases. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your California, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our California, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in California, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand the basics of your case. We'll go over your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and speaking to people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our California, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to our California, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in California, MO?
Bicycle accidents occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, trash, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be due to mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in California, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a talented California, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Crash
A bicycle wreck is a difficult and surprising experience. However, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bike accident in California, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bicycle wreck, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to get checked out by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign blame in crashes, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
FAQs About California, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in California, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the wreck resulted in more significant injuries that require a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we charge a portion of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the outstanding legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, we can close the case within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your California, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be lowered based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in California, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in California, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.