Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lebanon, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lebanon, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Lebanon, MO. Bike wrecks are terrifying and devastating. Whether you're a consistent Lebanon, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike wrecks can include serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Lebanon, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated injury claims process and secure the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should be able to afford the same excellent legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Lebanon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Even though bike riding accounts for just one percent of trips across the country, they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Lebanon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a number of key things to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lebanon, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our team of knowledgeable Lebanon, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike accident cases. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Lebanon, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Lebanon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Lebanon, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Lebanon, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Lebanon, MO. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Lebanon, MO?
Bicycle crashes can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to almost all auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car impacting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, trash, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be due to mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Lebanon, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Lebanon, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Crash
A bicycle wreck is a trying and unanticipated event. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bike crash in Lebanon, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike wreck, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a physician within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Furthermore, the costlier your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bike accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign blame in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw the wreck, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the compensation you deserve. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Lebanon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Lebanon, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the crash caused more serious injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we receive a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal representation you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, we can close the case within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Lebanon, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lebanon, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Lebanon, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.