Bike Wreck Lawyer in Harrisburg, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Harrisburg, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Harrisburg, MO. Bike wrecks can be horrifying and life-changing. Whether you're a seasoned Harrisburg, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the repercussions of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Harrisburg, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that the average person should be able to afford the same high-quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Harrisburg, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips account just one percent of trips across the country, they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Harrisburg, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are several key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for testimonials from previous clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need an attorney who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Harrisburg, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of experienced Harrisburg, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike accident cases. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with an effective legal strategy.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Harrisburg, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
How Our Harrisburg, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Harrisburg, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll review your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Harrisburg, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Harrisburg, MO clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Harrisburg, MO?
Bike accidents occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other drivers to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be caused by mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly at night, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Harrisburg, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced Harrisburg, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Crash
A bike accident is a difficult and unexpected occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle crash in Harrisburg, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to assign fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to the accident, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About Harrisburg, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Harrisburg, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the accident resulted in more severe injuries that need a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we charge a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, we can close the case within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Harrisburg, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be reduced based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Harrisburg, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Harrisburg, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.