Bike Wreck Lawyer in Washington, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Washington, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Washington, MO. Bike crashes can be terrifying and life-changing. Whether you're a veteran Washington, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the outcome of a bike crashes can include horrible injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of questions about how to proceed. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Washington, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated injury claims process and get the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should be able to have the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Washington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips nationwide, they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Washington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Washington, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of skilled Washington, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike crash claims. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced attorney by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Washington, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Washington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Washington, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll go over your accident with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Washington, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Washington, MO. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Washington, MO?
Bike accidents happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car colliding with a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be due to mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Washington, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced Washington, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike crash is a difficult and unexpected occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can increase your odds of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle wreck in Washington, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bike wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Furthermore, the costlier your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign blame in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the wreck, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
FAQs About Washington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Washington, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash resulted in more severe injuries that require ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we charge a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal representation you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Washington, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Washington, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Washington, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.