Bike Wreck Lawyer in Alton, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Alton, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Alton, IL. Bike wrecks are scary and have severe consequences. Whether you're a consistent Alton, IL cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle accidents can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Alton, IL bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex injury claims process and get the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should be able to afford the same excellent legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Alton, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips across the country, they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Alton, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are several important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Alton, IL
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of knowledgeable Alton, IL bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike wreck claims. We have the experience and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters mislead injury victims and try to avoid paying claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Alton, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Alton, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Alton, IL can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Alton, IL lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Alton, IL clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Alton, IL?
Bicycle wrecks can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, debris, broken pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be due to mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Alton, IL, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a knowledgeable Alton, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bike crash is a difficult and unanticipated event. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle wreck in Alton, IL, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a medical professional within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign fault in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to your wreck, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Alton, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Alton, IL, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the wreck caused more serious injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we charge a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. In some cases, we can close the case within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Alton, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be reduced relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Alton, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Alton, IL. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.