Bike Wreck Lawyer in Herculaneum, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Herculaneum, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Herculaneum, MO. Bike accidents are terrifying and have severe consequences. Whether you're a seasoned Herculaneum, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Herculaneum, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated legal system and receive the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should be able to afford the same excellent legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Herculaneum, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips in the U.S., they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Herculaneum, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are several important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews from previous clients to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Herculaneum, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of knowledgeable Herculaneum, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike wreck cases. We have the expertise and resources to perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and try to minimize claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Herculaneum, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
How Our Herculaneum, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Herculaneum, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll review your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and fight back against any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Herculaneum, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Herculaneum, MO. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Herculaneum, MO?
Bicycle crashes can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to the vast majority of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, debris, broken pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other motorists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be due to mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Herculaneum, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a skilled Herculaneum, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle accident is a stressful and unexpected event. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle crash in Herculaneum, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bike crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to determine blame in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to your accident, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Herculaneum, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Herculaneum, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the accident caused more severe injuries that require ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we charge a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the outstanding legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, a settlement can be reached within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Herculaneum, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Herculaneum, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Herculaneum, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.