Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fenton, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fenton, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Fenton, MO. Bicycle crashes are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Fenton, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the aftermath of a bike crashes can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Fenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves the injured on both sides of the river. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
Fenton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips across the country, they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Fenton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who communicates well with their clients. You need a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fenton, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our team of knowledgeable Fenton, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike wreck cases. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to minimize claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Fenton, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Fenton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Fenton, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll review your case with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Fenton, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal representation to our Fenton, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Fenton, MO?
Bike accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, trash, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Fenton, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a skilled Fenton, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle crash is a trying and unexpected experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle wreck in Fenton, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bike accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a doctor within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the costlier your medical bills, the more compensation you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to determine fault in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw your accident, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Fenton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Fenton, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the wreck resulted in more serious injuries that need ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, we can close the case within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Fenton, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Fenton, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Fenton, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.