Bike Wreck Lawyer in Linn, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Linn, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Linn, MO. Bicycle wrecks are terrifying and life-changing. Whether you're an experienced Linn, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bicycle accidents can include horrible injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of questions about how to move forward. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Linn, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should be able to afford the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Linn, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips account only one percent of trips in the United States, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Linn, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from previous clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You want an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Linn, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our team of talented Linn, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike wreck cases. We have the knowledge and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Linn, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Linn, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Linn, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll review your case with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Linn, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Linn, MO. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Linn, MO?
Bike accidents happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, trash, cracked pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be due to mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly in the dark, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Linn, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented Linn, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their reckless behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle accident is a stressful and unexpected occurrence. However, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle wreck in Linn, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bike crash, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to get checked out by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Furthermore, the higher your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to assign blame in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to the crash, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Linn, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Linn, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash resulted in more severe injuries that need a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we receive a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Linn, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Linn, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Linn, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.