Bike Wreck Lawyer in Collinsville, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Collinsville, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Collinsville, IL. Bike accidents are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Collinsville, IL cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the aftermath of a bicycle crashes can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Collinsville, IL bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex injury claims process and get the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should be able to afford the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Collinsville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips in the United States, they make up 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Collinsville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should be familiar with state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need an attorney who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Collinsville, IL
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of skilled Collinsville, IL bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike wreck cases. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and try to minimize claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Collinsville, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
How Our Collinsville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Collinsville, IL offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll go over your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Collinsville, IL firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Collinsville, IL. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Collinsville, IL?
Bike wrecks can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in the vast majority of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter and environmental debris, cracked pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be due to mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly in the dark, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Collinsville, IL, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a knowledgeable Collinsville, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bike wreck is a difficult and surprising event. But, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been injured in a bike wreck in Collinsville, IL, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to determine liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw the crash, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Collinsville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Collinsville, IL, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash resulted in more serious injuries that need a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we receive a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Collinsville, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be lowered based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Collinsville, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Collinsville, IL. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.