Bike Wreck Lawyer in High Hill, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | High Hill, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in High Hill, MO. Bicycle accidents can be horrifying and have severe consequences. Whether you're a consistent High Hill, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the outcome of a bicycle wrecks can include horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy High Hill, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that injury victims should be able to have the same excellent legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
High Hill, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips account just one percent of trips in the U.S., they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best High Hill, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a few key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for reviews from previous clients to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in High Hill, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of skilled High Hill, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike accident claims. We have the experience and resources to perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your High Hill, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our High Hill, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in High Hill, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll review your accident with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our High Hill, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in High Hill, MO. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in High Hill, MO?
Bicycle accidents occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car colliding with a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be due to mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in High Hill, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced High Hill, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their reckless actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bike wreck is a trying and unanticipated occurrence. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bike accident in High Hill, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bike accident, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the more expensive your medical expenses, the more compensation you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to determine liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw your crash, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About High Hill, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in High Hill, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the accident resulted in more severe injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we receive a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your High Hill, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased relative to your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in High Hill, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in High Hill, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.