Bike Wreck Lawyer in Shrewsbury, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Shrewsbury, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Shrewsbury, MO. Bicycle accidents are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Shrewsbury, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the aftermath of a bike accidents can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about how to move forward. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Shrewsbury, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that injury victims should have access to the same excellent legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves the injured on both sides of the river. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Shrewsbury, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Shrewsbury, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a number of key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who communicates well with their clients. You want an attorney who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. With personal injury, lawyers often accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Shrewsbury, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of experienced Shrewsbury, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike wreck cases. We have the expertise and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Shrewsbury, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
What Our Shrewsbury, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Shrewsbury, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll review your case with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Shrewsbury, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Shrewsbury, MO. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Shrewsbury, MO?
Bicycle crashes happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to almost all auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, trash and environmental debris, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other motorists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be due to mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Shrewsbury, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented Shrewsbury, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Crash
A bicycle crash is a stressful and surprising event. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle crash in Shrewsbury, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to get checked out by a physician within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to determine blame in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to the crash, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
FAQs About Shrewsbury, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Shrewsbury, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the wreck resulted in more serious injuries that require a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we receive a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. Often, we can close the case within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Shrewsbury, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be reduced based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Shrewsbury, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Shrewsbury, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.