Bike Wreck Lawyer in Mehlville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Mehlville, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Mehlville, MO. Bicycle crashes are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Mehlville, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Mehlville, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex injury claims process and secure the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims on both sides of the river. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Mehlville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up only one percent of trips in the United States, they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Mehlville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a number of important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from past clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need someone who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Mehlville, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other damages. Our team of experienced Mehlville, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike wreck claims. We have the expertise and resources to conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced attorney on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Mehlville, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
What Our Mehlville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Mehlville, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll go over your case with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Mehlville, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Mehlville, MO clients. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Mehlville, MO?
Bike accidents can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in the vast majority of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, litter, broken pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be caused by mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Mehlville, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity tasked with planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a knowledgeable Mehlville, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their negligent actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike crash is a stressful and unexpected event. But, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been injured in a bike accident in Mehlville, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Furthermore, the costlier your medical expenses, the more compensation you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to assign fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to your wreck, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Mehlville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Mehlville, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the wreck resulted in more significant injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal representation you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Sometimes, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Mehlville, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Mehlville, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Mehlville, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.