Bike Wreck Lawyer in Imperial, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Imperial, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Imperial, MO. Bicycle wrecks are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Imperial, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike crashes can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of questions about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Imperial, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that everyday people should be able to have the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Imperial, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips account only one percent of trips in the U.S., they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Imperial, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are several key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews from past clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Imperial, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of knowledgeable Imperial, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike wreck cases. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Imperial, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Imperial, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Imperial, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Imperial, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Imperial, MO. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Imperial, MO?
Bike wrecks happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to the vast majority of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, debris, broken pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be the result of mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Imperial, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a knowledgeable Imperial, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Crash
A bike crash is a trying and unanticipated experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can increase your odds of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike wreck in Imperial, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bicycle wreck, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to be seen by a medical professional within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. In addition, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to determine fault in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to your wreck, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure you get the compensation you deserve. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Imperial, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Imperial, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the wreck caused more serious injuries that need a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we collect a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Imperial, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Imperial, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Imperial, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.