Bike Wreck Lawyer in Maryland Heights, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Maryland Heights, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Maryland Heights, MO. Bike crashes can be terrifying and devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Maryland Heights, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike a few times a year, the aftermath of a bike crashes can include horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Maryland Heights, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Maryland Heights, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Even though bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips across the country, they make up 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Maryland Heights, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out testimonials from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Maryland Heights, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our group of experienced Maryland Heights, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike wreck claims. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Maryland Heights, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
How Our Maryland Heights, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Maryland Heights, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll go over your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Maryland Heights, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Maryland Heights, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Maryland Heights, MO?
Bike crashes can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter and environmental debris, broken pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be the result of mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially at night, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Maryland Heights, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced Maryland Heights, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike crash is a trying and unanticipated occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bike wreck in Maryland Heights, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bike wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to be seen by a medical professional within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to assign fault in crashes, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw your wreck, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Maryland Heights, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Maryland Heights, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the wreck resulted in more significant injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we receive a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, we can close the case within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Maryland Heights, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased relative to your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Maryland Heights, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Maryland Heights, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.