Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Charles, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Charles, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in St. Charles, MO. Bicycle wrecks are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran St. Charles, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the repercussions of a bicycle crashes can include horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable St. Charles, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that the average person should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
St. Charles, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips in the U.S., they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right St. Charles, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Charles, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of skilled St. Charles, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike accident cases. We have the knowledge and resources to carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to come up with an effective legal strategy.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to minimize claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your St. Charles, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
What Our St. Charles, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in St. Charles, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll go over your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our St. Charles, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our St. Charles, MO clients. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in St. Charles, MO?
Bike accidents happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, trash, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in St. Charles, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity tasked with planning, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced St. Charles, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle accident is a trying and unanticipated experience. But, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can increase your odds of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike crash in St. Charles, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to be seen by a medical professional within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the costlier your medical bills, the more compensation you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to assign liability in crashes, and will mention how the other parties are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to the wreck, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About St. Charles, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in St. Charles, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the accident caused more severe injuries that need ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we receive a portion of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your St. Charles, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Charles, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in St. Charles, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.