Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Peters, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Peters, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in St. Peters, MO. Bicycle wrecks are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned St. Peters, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right St. Peters, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex legal system and receive the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
St. Peters, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips in the United States, they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best St. Peters, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a number of important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've served in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You want an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Peters, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of knowledgeable St. Peters, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike wreck claims. We have the knowledge and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced attorney by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your St. Peters, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our St. Peters, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in St. Peters, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll review your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our St. Peters, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in St. Peters, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in St. Peters, MO?
Bike crashes occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, trash, broken pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in St. Peters, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a knowledgeable St. Peters, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their careless actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Accident
A bike wreck is a stressful and surprising event. However, by staying calm and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bike crash in St. Peters, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a physician within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Furthermore, the higher your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to assign fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About St. Peters, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in St. Peters, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the crash resulted in more serious injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we charge a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the outstanding legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your St. Peters, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be lowered relative to your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Peters, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in St. Peters, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.